GUIDE TO VEGAN THANKSGIVING TURKEY SUBSTITUTES AND OTHER MAIN DISH IDEAS (click photo for larger image and text)
From frozen faux-turkeys that look and taste like the real thing, to savory, protein-packed grain roasts, to more creative cruelty-free substitutes, here’s my definitive guide to your Turkey-Free Main Entree, whether you’re looking for store-bought, order-online, or make-your-own options. I hope you have as much fun perusing this list as I did making it. Pictured, counter-clockwise from top right: #18, #11, #1, #8, #3, #6, #9, and #7 (large center image).
STORE-BOUGHT/FROZEN: (you can ask your local coop or natural foods store to special order ahead of time if they don’t already carry)
1. Tofurky Roast: ”The Tofurky Roast is a pre-cooked vegetarian feast designed to be the delicious centerpiece of your holiday or everyday meal. Made from a revolutionary tofu-wheat protein blend, our famous Tofurky Roast is known for its incredible, turkey-like texture and flavor. Stuffed with wild rice and whole wheat bread crumb stuffing, this roast carves and cuts just like turkey but without the bones. Made with organic non-genetically engineered soybeans.”
And a great Tofurky recipe here: http://www.meettheshannons.net/2011/11/betty-crocker-project-thanksgiving-day.html
2. Field Roast: Celebration Roast: “We start with a rich and savory sausage-style stuffing made from Field Roast grain “meat,” fresh cut butternut squash, mushrooms and granny smith apples seasoned with a blend of rosemary, thyme and sage. We then surround the stuffing with our most luxuriant grain meat seasoned with rubbed sage, garlic and lemon juice.”
3. Field Roast: Wild Rice Cranberry Fig Roast En Croute: “Our Wild Rice Cranberry Fig Roast En Croute is delicious, rich and nutritious. We start with a rich grain meat roast and fill it with a wild rice & quinoa sausage style stuffing. The sweet infusion of dried figs in the stuffing and the scrumptious vegan pastry give it the festive finishing touch.”
4. Gardein Holiday Roast: This company’s products have taken the faux-meat world by storm. The holiday roast is filled with a spiced wild rice and cranberry stuffing and comes with delicious gravy. Serves 8. http://www.gardein.com/products.php?t=frozen&p=67
5. Vegeusa’s Vegan Whole Turkey looks…exactly like a whole cooked turkey (photo at link), which will freak some out and please others. It gets great reviews for taste and is a bit pricier than others. If not available through your store, you can get it at the sites we list for order online. http://www.vegeusa.com/VegeUSA/products/vegan_turkey.html
6. Match Meats: Stuffed Holiday Roast: Match Meats creates some of the most authentic, realistic-tasting vegan meats out there. Their Holiday Roast looks, tastes, and prepares just like meat, and is filled with a savory, fluffy stuffing. At only $13.99 (serves 6), it’s one of the budget-friendlier options out there. Also available for order online.
7. Native Foods: Wellington: (see large center image in collage above).The Native Wellington is a long, loaf-shaped elegant puff pastry filled with savory Seitan, stuffi ng, orange-glazed sweet potatoes, kale, and herbed mushrooms. Served with mushroom shallot gravy. Comes frozen with instructions. Ready in about 2 hours. Serves 6-8. $39.95. Available in select California, Colorado, and Chicago stores (see list: https://nativefoods.com/locations/) or for mail-order shipping: https://nativefoods.com/wellington/.
Many of the items listed above can be ordered and shipped from either of the sites below:
MAKE YOUR OWN: Amazing Main Dish Recipes!
8. Savory Country-Fried Seitan Cutlets with Spiced Breadcrumbs and Maple Marinade, from Kathy Patalsky: http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2011/09/05/labor-day-country-fried-seitan-cutlets/
9. Amazing Seitan Roast Stuffed With Shiitakes And Leeks, from Isa Chandra/ The Post Punk Kitchen: http://www.theppk.com/2011/11/seitan-roast-stuffed-with-shiitakes-and-leeks/
10. Seitan Roast with Wild Rice and Chestnut Stuffing, from Vegan Dad: http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/10/seitan-roast-with-wild-rice-and.html
11. Maple-Apple Cider Tofu With Stuffing and Apple Cranberry Chutney, from Vegan Dad: these are absolutely gorgeous and receive rave reviews: http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2010/10/maple-apple-cider-tofu-with-stuffing.html
12. Apple Cider Tofu With Butternut Squash and Roasted Pears, from Vegan Dad: http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2011/10/apple-cider-tofu-with-butternut-squash.html
13. Savory Golden Rice Loaf, from Mouthwatering Vegan Recipes: http://mouthwateringvegan.com/2011/10/29/golden-festive-thanksgiving-loaf/
14. Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf (top with this gravy!), from Oh She Glows! http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/01/ultimate-vegan-lentil-walnut-loaf/
15. Sage-Crusted Seitan with Mushroom Gravy, from The Blissful Chef: http://theblissfulchef.com/2009/11/more-t-day-recipes-and-good-news/
16. Protein-Packed Golden Orchard Cider-Spiced Quinoa Dome with Mandarin Orange, Pecans and Persimmon, from The Lunchbox Bunch: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2009/11/golden-orchard-cider-spiced-quinoa.html
17. Gluten and Grain-free Savory Thanksgiving Loaf, from Fat-Free Vegan: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-meatless-loaf.html
18. Vegan Pastrami Roast, from The Vegbergers: http://vegbergers.blogspot.com/2012/03/superior-vegan-reuben.html